Capitol Hill Day 2016
What is Capitol Hill Day?
This event, held in conjunction with the Alliance’s annual National Conference on Ending Homelessness, will take place this year on July 28, 2016 in Washington, DC. It will give participants a chance to meet with their Members of Congress to take part in federal advocacy – a critical component in our work to end homelessness. The meeting goals are to:
- Establish/build relationships with your congressional offices;
- Educate your senators and representatives on success and progress at home; and
- Encourage them to work in support of policy initiatives to end homelessness.
Capitol Hill Day Information for Participants
To prepare participants for Capitol Hill Day 2016, packets full of plenty of resources (many of which are posted below) will also be available from the Capitol Hill Day Table across from Grand Registration at the conference. Participants will also have the opportunity to attend state prep sessions led by their state captains to further prepare them for the congressional meetings. You can find the state prep session times and locations listed in the Program Journal or posted next to the Capitol Hill Day table. For questions about your state prep session and meetings, reach out to your State Captains and stop by the Capitol Hill Day table.
To further prepare participants, the Alliance will host a workshop at the conference titled 4.06 Capitol Hill Day: Are You Ready? on Wednesday, July 27 at 4:00 pm to provide updates on the Hill Day policy priorities driving the Capitol Hill Day agenda. Staff will review these policy priorities and provide the latest legislative and political updates to ensure that Capitol Hill Day participants and other interested advocates have the most recent information prior to their Hill visits. They will also make sure you know the key logistics information to participate.
Last year, more than 340 advocates from 39 states collectively attended more than 230 hill meetings (including meetings with the offices of most appropriators). We are hoping for another successful year this year, and can’t ensure the issue of homelessness is on Members of Congress’ radars without YOUR help!
Capitol Hill Day Resources:
- List of State Captains with contact information
- Federal Policy Priorities
- State Captain Toolkit
- McKinney-Vento HAG Program Overview
- FY 2017 McKinney Talking Points
- Sign on Letter to Increase McKinney Funding & Protect USICH
- How Would Terminating USICH Affect Efforts to End Homelessness? Preliminary Findings from Interviews with Federal Agencies, Communities, and Advocacy Organizations
- $11 Billion Homeless Assistance for Families Overview and Talking Points
- Mental Health Reform Overview and Talking Points
- Advocacy Toolkit
- Member Engagement Campaign