The Alliance is currently hiring for these positions:
POSITION: Senior Technical Assistance Specialist
SUPERVISED BY: Director, Center for Capacity Building
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, regular, exempt
LOCATION: Washington, DC
SALARY RANGE: $78,700-$118,100
The National Alliance to End Homelessness (Alliance) is an influential national nonprofit devoted to finding and advancing solutions to homelessness. Our team is focused on making an impact. We seek a Senior Technical Assistance Specialist to contribute to the impacts and outcomes of our Center for Capacity Building.
The Alliance Center for Capacity Building (the Center) is a mission-driven division of the organization that helps cities, counties, states and nonprofits move more quickly toward an end to homelessness. It does this by working with them and with people experiencing homelessness to implement evidence-based best practices, and to innovate in new and emerging areas of concern. The Center works collaboratively with public, private and nonprofit sector partners. It focuses on key areas of system and program performance including: diversion, outreach, coordinated assessment and entry, emergency shelter and services, self-resolution, rapid re-housing, permanent supportive housing, and housing subsidy. It covers the full spectrum of homeless subpopulations including children and youth, families, veterans, individual adults, chronically homeless people, people who are unsheltered, and those with disabilities. It is always attentive to the special needs of LGBTQ people and racial and ethnic minorities, and the particular strategies needed to address their distinct experiences of homelessness.
The Center provides customized consultation services, remote and on-site technical assistance and trainings, online learning, and learning collaborative environments. It is research-informed, works to center race equity in all its activities, and always pursues the goal of reducing the number of people who experience homelessness.
If you are committed to helping the nation SOLVE the problem of homelessness, consider joining the Alliance.
What we are looking for:
The Alliance seeks a talented Senior Technical Assistance Specialist committed to helping communities end homelessness through the adoption of policies and practices that have demonstrated effectiveness. We seek someone with high energy, excellent organizational and communications skills, and a grounding knowledge of homelessness and its solutions. A successful Senior Technical Assistance Specialist will value close collaboration with team members, and also be self-motivated and able to work independently.
What you will do:
The Senior Technical Assistance Specialist will engage in the development, planning, coordination, implementation, and evaluation of diverse capacity building projects. The Senior Technical Assistance Specialist uses research, data, and local experience to discover and implement responsive solutions to homelessness. The Senior Technical Assistance Specialist researches policies and practices employed by successful communities, and then aggregates and translates this research into technical assistance and training curricula, including online trainings. The Senior Technical Assistance Specialist will collaborate with other Alliance program teams, national and local partner organizations, and other consultants and technical assistance providers in this work.
Tasks will include:
- In collaboration with Center for Capacity Building team members and our Online Learning Manager, provide remote and on-site training, technical assistance, and consulting services to communities working to prevent and end homelessness. Tasks may include the development and coordination of, and participation in, technical assistance delivery; the drafting and dissemination of reports; the creation of remote, on-site, and online training and guidance; the development of tools, tool-kits and other materials for training, technical assistance, and implementation; and other documents and resources.
- Develop and lead projects that align with the Alliance’s priorities, accomplish the Center’s annual goals, and demonstrate sustainable outcomes.
- Assist in Center-related grant writing and the development of client proposal and contracts.
- Evaluate the community-level impacts of projects, technical assistance, training, and consulting services.
- Provide clients with planning, logistical support, collection and analysis of community data, and stakeholder engagement.
- Develop, deliver and evaluate training materials.
- Research and advance effective policies and practices used by communities to reduce homelessness.
- Incorporate up-to-date research, messaging, and community-level data into training materials.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other Alliance staff members.
- To the extent relevant fulfill funder requirements and monitor grant deliverables.
- Participate in planning and implementation of Alliance conferences.
- Design or assist in creation of online courses for the Center for Learning.
- Fulfill other duties as determined by the Center for Capacity Building Director.
What a successful candidate will need:
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience working on homelessness or related issues in nationally and/or within a community, and/or providing training or technical assistance.
Knowledge and skills
- Demonstrated commitment to having an impact on homelessness, poverty or related issues.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to recognize and respond to the ways race and other identities intersect, and commitment to finding ways to promote racial equity and social justice.
- Demonstrated experience and ability in working with marginalized populations (e.g., LGBTQ, people with disabilities, people experiencing homelessness, etc.,).
- Demonstrated analytical, interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, initiate, and implement tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work well both independently and within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate numerous projects simultaneously, manage project budgets and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical assistance and trainings to various types of stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrated ability to provide communities with strategic planning and implementation guidance on system-related homelessness issues.
- Tech-savvy and familiar with learning management systems such as Canvas.
- Online learning content development.
What we can offer you:
The Alliance is strong, flexible team of professionals who work collaboratively to achieve our mission of preventing and ending homelessness in the nation. We offer a supportive work environment in which staff has both the responsibility
and opportunity to pursue and achieve solutions to a national social problem. In addition to an environment in which every member of the staff is valued and has the opportunity to contribute, the Alliance offers the following benefits.
- Competitive salary
- Employer supported health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Paid vacation, personal, and sick leave and a generous holiday schedule
How to Apply:
Email resume, cover letter, and two brief and relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Senior Technical Assistance Specialist” in subject line of your email.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.